Saturday, July 21, 2012

the greysen story.

here we go. the baby story. stay away if TMI bothers you. i gotta remember for next time, before i forget because my child is just so so cute. 

greysen allister lowry 
7/18/2012 @ 4:45am 
7 lb 11 oz 20.5 in

let's just say it did not go as planned. i was a little skeptical about delivering in california, because i knew they were a lot less thrilled about doping me up with medication like they did so fabulously in utah. my suspicions proved correct unfortunately. i was due last friday, and then my ob decided to be so gracious and give me the choice to be induced monday night at ten, or the next friday night. monday, duh. just like last time, i was dilated to a big fat zero, and had no contractions on my non stress test, so he was not coming on his own again

we went in monday night and they told me they were going to give me some pills up there to soften my cervix and make me dilate. every four hours. well, those did absolutely nothing. except make me not sleep in an uncomfortable bed for 16 hours, hooked up to the monitors for no reason. so that puts us at tuesday mid-afternoon. the doctor came in and said he was going to basically shove a balloon up there and inflate it with water to manually open the cervix. that is a pleasant feeling, let me tell you. tuesday evening rolls around and he decided to start my petocin because the balloon was guaranteed to work so we would have a baby no later than sometime on wednesday. 

the lovely hour of 2:00 am rolls around on wednesday and my water finally broke. and i started having deathly contractions pretty quick after that. according to the hospital, they won't give you an epidural until you're about at 4 cm since labor takes so long, but because that balloon was still up me, the nurses wouldn't measure me. i asked for the drugs and the nurse politely said "your contractions are really mild and short, so we should wait". as i was going to punch her in her face. so i had to sit there and die through each contraction every two minutes, lasting for thirty seconds. i asked/yelled for the drugs again, about 45 minutes later and they again, said no because i was not very far along. and my stupid contractions were not showing up on the monitor, so basically it looked like i was whining about nothing. 
finally, i got up to go pee in between dying, and the balloon fell out, so they called the anesthesiologist to give me the epidural, because after it falls out you should be at a 4 at least. as he is putting the needle in, they ask me to lie down on my side, and i immediately feel like he is going to come out right this second and i needed to push. so i'm yelling at the nurses saying he's coming right now, {i really was very pleasant by this time} and they finally call the doctor in and the nurse finally measures me and lo and behold, i'm at a 10! {i'm super pissed at her by this point because i know the drugs aren't going to work} so they call him again, and tell him he needs to come right now, and he runs in, puts a gown on, tells me to push twice and lo and behold the baby is here! at 4:45, almost three hours after my water broke and 30 hours after being admitted to the hospital. i don't want to say it was terrible.... but it was. it is going to take me a while to recover from the nurses totally not listening/believing me and making me feel like i was going to die, so yes i'm still whining about it. i have no idea why people purposely decide to give birth naturally. more power to you, but i will never choose to do that having experienced both. 
this cap was their attempt to sterilize me? i'm pretty sure they put it on as i was pushing. so it was very effective.

but, after all that waiting/hurting/yelling we finally have a fantastic baby. thank goodness, he was a whole pound smaller than zak was, but he is just as good as his brother was. the doctor had to wake him up when he came out because he was still sleeping, no joke. he spends his time sleeping {much more than his brother did during the day at least, the night time, we still need to work on}, eating and being loved on by his brother. 


speaking of him, zakary is a fantastic big brother. he loves to check on him, and try and entertain him, and he cannot wait until greysen is big enough to play trains and trucks with him. he has been nothing but loving and helpful with him, and its fantastic. i'm excited for the two of them to be able to play together in the future. 


 we left the hospital thursday morning, and i have been feeling quite good actually. it might have to do with having no drugs left in my system, but i don't really feel as exhausted or as in as much pain as i remember last time. so i guess, that's a plus, or it could be that we've done this before so i knew what to expect and our kid was much smaller? i don't know, but i'm surprised at how well i'm doing. we will see how things go when my mom and mother in law leave in a couple of weeks and i'm supposed to entertain two of them by myself. but until then, i will enjoy cuddling both the big kid and the baby and relaxing. =) 

6 comments:

  1. Congrats and hats off to you! Beautiful baby boy girlie! Ugh. Know your feeling of begging for drugs....my 1st I got an epidural after trying to resist but then the next two in a row not a chance of anything not even a tylenol and of course the next two an epidural one with c section but the last 17 hours of pain and nothing :(....but I will say you feel better and heal much quicker without them. We wish your little family lots of love and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats and hats off to you! Beautiful baby boy girlie! Ugh. Know your feeling of begging for drugs....my 1st I got an epidural after trying to resist but then the next two in a row not a chance of anything not even a tylenol and of course the next two an epidural one with c section but the last 17 hours of pain and nothing :(....but I will say you feel better and heal much quicker without them. We wish your little family lots of love and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray hooray hooray!! Welcome to the world Greysen! (Love his name)
    What a beautiful boy. Good job Melissa! You poor thing...didn't sound fun. But of course, worth it?!

    Rae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa - I'm totally feeling you on the "missing the goodness of Utah baby delivery" vibe. The experience in VA was much worse than the one in Utah, though I experienced the same feelings of "not so much pain and exhaustion" after the second one. As for delivering without medication: I think when your prepped for that type of delivery it is probably easier than the "WHAT?! I have no painkillers and you want me to deliver this baby without them?!" feeling. I panicked when they said that to me. I'm prepping next time, just so I'll be ready in case that happens again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and CONGRATS!!!! Sounds like you did awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey i read this the other day on my phone and so i should comment now!! im sorry about the delivery, its so ridiculous, but reading helps me know what to do if im ever in that situation, so thanks. and i hope greysen is a happy baby for you and sleeps during the day:) also i think him a zak have a slightly different nose!! CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some lovin'